Finished in Gunmetal Grey Metallic the 1951 military Jeep has been transformed with a couple modern and more convenient touches. The owners father who originally owned the Willys has his racing number displayed on the tailgate in remembrance.
With the chassis restored and a brand new engine built from NOS block and parts it was time to tackle a fuel tank relocation. Early Jeep drivers had to sit on top of the gas tank but with the installment of a CJ7 tank in the rear we were able to free up the space used by the original fuel tank for other things.
Built by Willys-Overland from 1926 to 1931 the Whippet was an attempt at a line of smaller cars until the depression ultimately doomed the brand. The Whippet 98A had 6 cylinder engine rated at 50 bhp and were produced in great number reaching a production of 82,207 units.
Although not a restoration this Willys is not back in drivable condition after many years of being in an inoperable state. The wheels have been restored and powder coated and fitted with a new set of Coker military tires and an electric fuel pump has been added to assist with starting after an extended storage.
Powered by the L-134 Go-Devil engine these civilian versions of the military Willys MB were intended for farming, ranching, and industrial applications. The CJ-2A sports a grille reminiscent of those found on modern Jeeps which makes them easy to differentiate from the military model.